14 July 2007

Settling in at La Trobe Uni


I'm hoping that this blog post will get us all updated on where I am now. I am finally all settled in, in my room in Mills Hall room 10. My accomadation is like a dorm, or as Allie says from the pictures its like a jail cell. It is a very small room, but I have a room to myself. Actually its thought of absurd to share a room here in Australia. So its nice to have my very own space. As I unpacked I realized that I definatly didnt bring enough winter clothes down with me. Its SOOO cold here, and the building is even colder. But the good thing is that all the rooms have their own heaters, so I will probably leave that one 24 7 and be ok. But I never wanna leave my room because its soo cold everywhere else and I dont have enough warm clothes to keep me warm which sucks in the long run. So if anyone is feeling generous your welcome to send me some warm clothes to keep me warm, although it will take about 3 weeks to get here!!!

Mandi Stevens
Mills Hall, room 10
LTUB PO Box 199
Bendigo 3552 Australia

As for getting around, I've just been walking everywhere and that is alot. My accomadation is the farthest way from the campus but its the only one that has provided meals mon-fri so thats why I choose it here. The meals are not like normal campus food either they are AMAZING meals and I absolutely love the dining hall and from what I hear it seems to be a favorite among most students living here. They serve lunch and breakfast from 8-1pm which is a help your self kind of thing. Usually I have a sandwhich or something. But dinner time is the best. They serve dinner from 5:45-6:30 and you have to get there when the doors open to get the best meal. They serve two meals everyday and usually if you get there after 6:00 the best meal is gone, and your stuck with the one no one wants. So far I have some really great meals such as Spegetti, white seasoned chicken with veggies and this thing that looked like a hashbrown but inside it was mashed potatoes! It was awesome. But dinner time is my favorite time of the day because since I dont really know anyone its nice to chat and get to know the kitchen staff. The Kitchen staff are really nice and at dinner they sit down with everyone and eat themselves! Its nice, because I can get to know them and they have been nothing much kind and helpful to me since I got here! I'm so happy to have this time of the day.

This week I've just been trying to find my way around and getting ready for classes to begin. I was able to register for classes early because my academic advisor is going out of town for O'week (orientation week). So I registered for 4 classes and got everything set. Its nice though because you will never have the same class twice in a week. They classes here are all only once a week for about 2 hours a day. So my class schedule is really awesome.

Monday: Ceramics Media Workshop from 2-5pm
Tuesday: NO CLASSES!
Wednesday: Applied digital design 4 from 8-11am
Thursday: Renassiance Art from 1-4pm
Friday: Multimedia 2 from 1-4pm


Its awesome only having one class a day for 3 hours here unlike back in the states having up to 3 classes a day 3 times a week! I love it here!

But like I was saying before I havent really been doing much just been walking around trying to find my way around. Its about a 30 minute walk to the university (they call it Uni). But, I found some shops which are only about a 5 minute walk from the uni so I started a bank account and got some things that I needed. Now, all I need to do is figure out my way to town to get the rest of the things I may need before school starts but its ok orientation starts on monday and I think they will tell us then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi ~ My name is Tina, i'm a chinese student. i'll go to Latrobe to learn tourism management in 2009. I saw your blog i'm itrested in making friend with you ~if you like me ...can give me letter.HA my e-mail is tinayu_008@yahoo.com.cn