16 July 2007

First night out in Australia


Well today was definatly a busy, busy day! It was the first day of orientation! But let me just tell you first about saturday night. Okay, so saturday I was getting really lonely and upset because I didnt know anyone and I was getting tired of just laying my bed, not really doing anything. So of course me being me, I took it out on my best friend, my boyfriend. I didnt mean to but it happened... but in the end he made everything make sense and I knew classes were startinng soon and that I was being stupid anyways. I pretty much was being stupid- missing home & my rountines & of course him. So of course, he was out having fun with his friends and I didnt want to ruin his fun so I told him to go have double the fun and pretend I was there and to call me before he went to bed. So after I calmed down he listened and told me everything would be ok, which he was right as always.

A couple hours later, two girls from the hall came knocking at my door and welcomed me to the halls and told me how excited they were to have me on the halls with them this semester. After talking a bit, they asked me if I wanted to join them for tea, which in Australian terms means dinner. So we went and got some Subway- I felt so at home as I was eating this meal. Although, I told myself I would not have any of these American foods while I was here, I felt I needed it. I felt right at home and felt I deserved it as I have been eating nothing but healthy foods- not complaining at all, because it is all really good food but nice to know its there.

Anyways, that night I ended up going out with the girls and guys from the halls for Brit's 19th birthday. It was a good night and I'm glad I went, things were alot different but just things I will have to adapt to. The music they play is american music from like 5 years ago, so its really funny to hear it being played out at a bar. The girls kept asking me if I knew this song every time one would come on. Dancing is basically just rock back and forth...haha I can do that! If you dance like an american, they automatically think you want to have sex with them so good thing I dont know or dont like to dance like an american. After the bar we were wait for our driver and we had some Potato gems.. they were sooo good! Basically Potato wedges with cheese and gravy on them! AMAZINGG!!

The night was good, and I was so happy I went out. I got to know some of the people from the halls, which were all awesome!! If any of you are reading this, thanks for a GREAT 1st night out... I'm sure there will be many more to come.

1 comment:

Mary Dews said...

Hi Mandi...It is Lise...using my daughter Mary's gmail account!...glad to hear you are getting settled into your new "life". If you get board..just remember...you could be here cleaning rooms for us! :) Have a great time. I will look forward to reading your posts! Lise Dews