27 July 2007

The first week of classes

Well, classes have offically begun! I cant believe I have already been through a week of classes. Now that I look back at it, the week went by so quickly. Well the beginning of the week went by so slow because I didnt really have much to do but towards the end I was pretty busy. I started off the week with a 2 pm Ceramics class, a 3 hour class. It was great because I could sleep in and it wasnt too hard of a class- its a nice way to start the week. Anyways, we started in a classroom for the 1st hour of the class so he could explain how this class was going to run and do some housekeeping before the class actually started. He explained that there would be a total of 3 assignments throughout the semester. Then we moved into the Ceramics studio where he demonstrated the use of the pottery wheel. It was really neat to see him from sratch make a pot. i started getting really excited about this class but worried at the same time. I hope from everything I make, I can bring everything home...that it will fit in my bags. In this class I made a friend, her name was georgia. Or here in Australia you would say "She was called Geogia". Anyways she lives in a flat, known as a house in America on OSbourne street which is right where I am staying. After class I was planning on talking to her and hopefully making a connection with her so maybe she and I could go together to get some of the supplies that we needed for class. Unfortunately, she sat and talked with the teacher after class for quiet some time so I figured I would just wait to talk to her till next class.

Tuesday i didnt have any classes and basically layed around all day- it was nice though. Wednesday I had a class at 8 am, or so I thought. When my course coordinator wrote it in on my timetable, she wrote it as an 8am class. I got up and ready for class and go there at 8 just to find out that NOTHING opens until 9 am. The buildings are open, but none of the offices are and very few classes meet at 8 am. I sat in the computer lab and played around until my class at NINE. When class finally met the teacher went over some housekeeping and what the class was about, explained teh 3 projects or "briefs" we would be doing and showeed examples. It wasnt until she was explaining the projects and programs used that I realized I was enrolled in the wrong class. I mean i could of stayed in the class but it was of much higher level and I would of been struggling all semester considering I was in a class where I had no idea what any of the programs she talked about even were.

After class I decided to email my course coordinator and the head of the graphics art department and explain my sistuation. Later that day I head back from the head of the graphics art department and he told me that I could switch into his class which met at 930 am on friday morning. He explained to me that we would be working with Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign and QuarkExpress all of which I am very familiar with...well all but QuarkExpress but he wasnt surprised because most students dont or never have used it. This is more of a print based class, more of what I am interested in. So, I worked it out and planned on attending his class at 930 friday morning.

Thursday I had a 3 hour lecture from 1-4 called Renassiance Art. This I knew to be probably my least favorite of them all. I ate lunch with some of the girls at the dinning hall and then headed up to uni. I wanted to leave a bit early because I was going to a building I had never been before or even seen before for that matter. But after asking around a bit, I finally found where I needed to go. We met in a slide room which definatly didnt have enough room for the whole class but i guess it didnt matter all that much, our teacher had broken his tooth in half somehow and was unable to open the class and had someone else stand in for him and take role. He said he would be back by 2:30 so we were all to return around then. When we did return another guy came in to inform us that our teacher was stuck at the dentist and would not be able to make it. What a waste of a day!!

Finally, Friday.. which in my case was my worst day. I had 2 classes both 3 hours long. I had design 4-print (the one I switched into) from 930-1230 and then Multimedia 2 from 1-4. It was a busy day for me. It turned out that the class I switched into will probably end up being my favorite class. It was right in my feild and interest, so Im glad I made the choice to switch. This guy was very friendly and ind and since he hasnt taught me he asked who I was and then he made she I knew and understood everything throughout the class, I really appreciate kind people like that. My next class started at 1, in the next room over but when I got in there there was a note saying that course outlines were in the room across the hall and that we would meet next week. I guess I lucked out today.

All in all, the week of class went well and now its the weekend. Tomorrow caitlyn, Dan and I are planning on take a trip out to Philip Island. I'm sure I will have more to tell when I get back sunday night.

No comments: