19 October 2007

Realizing more about Australia: 19 Oct 2007

Sorry it's been so long since my last post, I was in a rough spot with only days without sleep and nightmares to come...thoughts of Jess. I think its safe to say, I'm back on my feet again. It was a hard couple weeks. This week didnt really consist of much just work and more work. Today, I gave blood for the last time while I'm here and got the 2nd needle of my cervical cancer vacine. I offically have 3 days left of classes and I am super excited about it, but not excited that I have SOOO much work to get done before friday so I will be busy busy until then. I can't believe its all coming to an end, I have 3 weeks left in this wonderful country of Australia. The time flew by soo incredibly fast as everyone told me it would. I'm amazed by the friendships I have gained and the things I have learned while here. I have a new vision of things and see everything in a whole new way. I encourage anyone even just thinking of studying abroad to take the oppurtunity and go.. its a great experience.

It's so funny and true how once you are ready leave is the very moment where you feel commfortable with your surroundings. Everything is all becoming much more ordinary for me- and I know it took me a while but i finally understand what the "tall puppy syndrome" is, which I was told about at orientation in July. Basically this means taht australians dont brag about how well they are doing or how much sucess they have, they refer to everything as good. No one here talks about how they have been working hard or are doing well in their classes. No one gets excited after an exam before they know they aced it. All anyone says about such matter is, "yeah, it was good." This saying is used for alot. When I ask how people's weekends were I usually get the same response. So really, us americans cant tell how things REALLY are because the same response is given for something awesome and something soso- its just that the person doesnt want to brag about it. Really, its kinda annoying because the only way to find out if something awesome happened or didnt happen is to ask a million questions to finally get it out of them. I think its a pretty big shame because you should be allowed to be excited, life is worth it. Its even hard to keep conversations going after responses like, "yeah good".

Anyways that my speech for today! Haha.. I've really been noticing more and more about australia as the days lessen for the time I will be here. But for now, I have got to get started on some more work. But I miss everyone and will see you all soon.

Tons of love,
Mandi

No comments: